NATO fighter jets shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle that entered Latvian airspace in the early hours of August 14, the National Armed Forces (NAF) reported. The military had earlier declared an air threat in four regions bordering Russia and Belarus: Augšdaugava, Preiļi, Rēzekne, Balvi, and Alūksne municipalities. Air raid alerts in some areas have since been lifted.

NAF spokeswoman Iveta Bērziņa said the drone was downed over Rugāji parish in Balvi municipality. Because the aircraft was destroyed at a relatively high altitude, its fragments may be scattered, and a survey of the area is underway, she said.

The incident came amid a large-scale attack on Russia's Leningrad region. Regional governor Aleksandr Drozdenko said 54 Ukrainian drones were shot down over the region overnight.

Ukraine's Foreign Ministry has previously said Ukrainian drones enter Baltic airspace due to Russian electronic warfare systems. Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha proposed that Baltic states and Finland work together to prevent such incidents. No public response to the proposal has been reported.

This is not the first such case in the region. NATO jets shot down a drone over Latvia on June 8, and on May 19 a drone was destroyed over Estonia. According to Novaya Gazeta Europe, at least 24 drone incursions were recorded in the Baltic states between January 2025 and May 2026, with Latvia seeing the most. NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte called the alliance's response to such incidents "calm, resolute, and proportionate," while Lithuanian Defense Minister Robertas Kaunas urged Baltic countries to prepare for regular drone incursions and strengthen air defense systems.