Russia's Permanent Representative to the UN, Vasily Nebenzya, told reporters at the UN headquarters in New York that mass mobilization in Russia is not in the works. "We do not need mass mobilization at the moment, it is not planned and not expected, as far as I know," he said, responding to a question about young Russians "fleeing to Georgia."

Nebenzya suggested "seeing who was right and who was wrong" on the issue after the State Duma elections, scheduled for September 18-20. Russian officials have repeatedly denied rumors of a possible new mobilization.

In late July, Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chairman of Russia's Security Council, dismissed such reports as "nonsense." The State Duma's defense committee said there was no talk of mass forced conscription, as the army is replenished with contract soldiers. Lawmaker Andrei Gurulev noted that authorities are not ready to "clothe, shoe, train, give equipment and weapons" to a million mobilized.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had earlier claimed that Vladimir Putin plans a new wave of mobilization, saying that 300,000 to 500,000 Russians could be drafted in the fall. He cited Russian Defense Ministry figures showing 221,000 contract soldiers recruited since the start of the year, but losses of 225,500, including 131,000 killed.

Sources in Russian authorities told Verstka that martial law and mobilization could be declared after the elections. Sources close to the Defense Ministry told the Financial Times that a new draft risks significant losses and desertion.

Amid these reports, tens of thousands of Russians have begun leaving for Georgia and preparing to move to Armenia.